WESTERN MICHIGAN GENEALOGICAL
c/o Grand Rapids
111 Library Street NE
Grand Rapids, MI
Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
WMGS WRITERS GROUP
STORY A MONTH
Below, you will find a number of writing ideas and prompts to
guide you in your writing. You may also pick a topic that is more
relevant to your own family history project.
PLANNING ON ATTENDING?
The WMGS Writers Group finally met in-person in August where we discussed several topics in addition to writing.
its inception in 2004, Sister Michael Ellen Carling, one of the Writers
Group’s founders, has arranged for us to meet at the Dominican Center.
Many things have changed over the last year-and-a-half and one of them
was that the Main Building of the Dominican Center was sold to an
organization which will renovate it into apartments.
Michael Ellen and the other Dominican Sisters have been gracious and
helpful in opening their home to the Writers Group for almost 17 years.
We have enjoyed their company, graciousness, and thank them for their
years of support.
At our August meeting it was decided that our new meeting location will be:
Central Christian Church
2525 Leonard ST NE
Grand Rapids 49505
church is located on the north side of Leonard just west of the I-96
exit to Leonard. It is set back from the road with a long driveway.
When you enter the main doors you’ll be directed to the meeting room.
Ron Osgood is our host and if you have any questions you can call his
cell phone 616-334-7712.
We are continuing to write stories
about this Pandemic or other illnesses and medical problems that have
effected our families or relatives.
As this is written, the
Covid Delta mutation is spreading rapidly. To attend a Writers Group
meeting you must be fully vaccinated and willing to wear a mask if
necessary. Our next scheduled meeting will be:
The Third Tuesday of September on the 21st at 1:30 p.m.
- How quarantine(s) changed my family’s life
- Write the history of the life of someone who died during the pandemic
- Life, death and boredom during a pandemic
- What I did during my Covid vacation
- Differences between the 1918 and 21st Century pandemics
- How the 1918 pandemic changed or effected my ancestors’ lives
- How the Covid 19 pandemic changed or effected my family’s lives
- Why reactions to the pandemic were different between rural and urban Americans. How were they the same?
- How our lives will be different in the future after living through Covid 19.
- Science and facts versus propaganda and myth: Covid 19 and politics and power
- The good of the many versus the good of the one.
Or use a topic that is closer to your own pandemic experiences. Some of us may have used our extended time at home to
write about other topics than Covid 19. As always, you’re welcome to come to the group to get gentle feedback and
*Includes Kent County and the counties
immediately surrounding; namely Ottawa, Muskegon, Newaygo, Montcalm,
Ionia, Barry and Allegan Counties. There is some extension beyond these
counties into other areas of the Western Lower Peninsula.